Sunday, March 11, 2012

Another question on backups

I have a database that takes up around 12 gigs or so that I would like
to back up to a network share.
As part of our recovery procedures, I'm also backing up the source files
that we use to create about 90% of the data on our database (the
database is a sales information system, with reports generated over the
web). There may be some data entry into the project, but it is minimal.
Is there a way to back up the things I'd need to restore the tables,
such as the data structure of them, the stored procedures that load them
and the jobs that execute those stored procedures? In other words, back
up everything but the data inside the 90% of the tables which we can
re-create on the next table load?
I'm looking for a way to whittle down the amount of data I'm backing up,
actually backing up just what I specifically need to have to get going
again.
BC
script the database and store it in Source Safe.
Greg Jackson
PDX, Oregon
|||Hi,
There are 2 options for you:-
1. Use generate script to script all the objects (ALL DDLs) and right click
above the job and script the jobs.
2. Do a full database backup once and perform a differential backup daily.
For jobs backup the MSDB database.
Differential backup will backup only the changes after the last backup
and will be very fast in your case since you have very less changes
on a daily basis.
Thanks
Hari
SQL Server MVP
"Blasting Cap" <goober@.christian.net> wrote in message
news:ueeTd0ocFHA.584@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have a database that takes up around 12 gigs or so that I would like to
>back up to a network share.
> As part of our recovery procedures, I'm also backing up the source files
> that we use to create about 90% of the data on our database (the database
> is a sales information system, with reports generated over the web).
> There may be some data entry into the project, but it is minimal.
> Is there a way to back up the things I'd need to restore the tables, such
> as the data structure of them, the stored procedures that load them and
> the jobs that execute those stored procedures? In other words, back up
> everything but the data inside the 90% of the tables which we can
> re-create on the next table load?
> I'm looking for a way to whittle down the amount of data I'm backing up,
> actually backing up just what I specifically need to have to get going
> again.
> BC
>

No comments:

Post a Comment