Sunday, March 11, 2012

Another profiler question

The first time I posted it landed under someone else's thread & I wasn't sure anyone would see it to help me out.
I have a database that's being restored on a monthly basis, but I think this process is overkill.
The users are using a few tables or whatever to run reports using Crystal Reports, and accessing tables via MS Access.
What do I profile for to 'see' everything that is being used in this database so that I can restore only these objects as opposed to the entire db?
I have only used profiler to do some query statement troubleshooting, 'Stored Procedure Compelted', but other than that am not proficient with profiler.
All suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!
How big is your database? If it's small, restoring the database for reporting
may not be a bad practice. Note that you can't just 'restore only these
objects' from the database backup file if you are using SQL Server native
restore.
Linchi
"Jude" wrote:

> The first time I posted it landed under someone else's thread & I wasn't sure anyone would see it to help me out.
> I have a database that's being restored on a monthly basis, but I think this process is overkill.
> The users are using a few tables or whatever to run reports using Crystal Reports, and accessing tables via MS Access.
> What do I profile for to 'see' everything that is being used in this database so that I can restore only these objects as opposed to the entire db?
> I have only used profiler to do some query statement troubleshooting, 'Stored Procedure Compelted', but other than that am not proficient with profiler.
> All suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!
>
|||Actually I am not using Sql Server Native backup software & I do have an
option of restoring single objects.
But to be perfectly honest I didn't want to debate the point, I want to
learn about using profiler to effectively capture this information and
suppose I was looking for a quick answer.
"Linchi Shea" <LinchiShea@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FAD6A024-8973-4AFC-8F28-75B5ADC2B618@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> How big is your database? If it's small, restoring the database for
> reporting
> may not be a bad practice. Note that you can't just 'restore only these
> objects' from the database backup file if you are using SQL Server native
> restore.
> Linchi
> "Jude" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment