Sunday, March 11, 2012

Another profiler question

The first time I posted it landed under someone else's thread & I wasn't sur
e anyone would see it to help me out.
I have a database that's being restored on a monthly basis, but I think this
process is overkill.
The users are using a few tables or whatever to run reports using Crystal Re
ports, and accessing tables via MS Access.
What do I profile for to 'see' everything that is being used in this databas
e so that I can restore only these objects as opposed to the entire db?
I have only used profiler to do some query statement troubleshooting, 'Store
d Procedure Compelted', but other than that am not proficient with profiler.
All suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!How big is your database? If it's small, restoring the database for reportin
g
may not be a bad practice. Note that you can't just 'restore only these
objects' from the database backup file if you are using SQL Server native
restore.
Linchi
"Jude" wrote:

> The first time I posted it landed under someone else's thread & I wasn't s
ure anyone would see it to help me out.
> I have a database that's being restored on a monthly basis, but I think th
is process is overkill.
> The users are using a few tables or whatever to run reports using Crystal
Reports, and accessing tables via MS Access.
> What do I profile for to 'see' everything that is being used in this datab
ase so that I can restore only these objects as opposed to the entire db?
> I have only used profiler to do some query statement troubleshooting, 'Sto
red Procedure Compelted', but other than that am not proficient with profile
r.
> All suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!
>|||Actually I am not using Sql Server Native backup software & I do have an
option of restoring single objects.
But to be perfectly honest I didn't want to debate the point, I want to
learn about using profiler to effectively capture this information and
suppose I was looking for a quick answer.
"Linchi Shea" <LinchiShea@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FAD6A024-8973-4AFC-8F28-75B5ADC2B618@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> How big is your database? If it's small, restoring the database for
> reporting
> may not be a bad practice. Note that you can't just 'restore only these
> objects' from the database backup file if you are using SQL Server native
> restore.
> Linchi
> "Jude" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment